7 Great Quotes on Leaving a Legacy
I’ve always said that the power of a person’s life is the stories they leave behind.
When a loved one dies, we tend to think about their legacy, about the meaning of their lives. When my mother-in-law Sue passed away, her memorial service was a time to reflect upon her life and all the lives she touched.
Thinking of legacy along those lines, I’ve pulled together seven of my favorite legacy quotes. And please send to me any of your favorite quotes about legacy.
Favorite Quotes About Legacy
- Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you. —Shannon Alder
- The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. —William James
- Your story is the greatest legacy that you will leave to your friends. It’s the longest-lasting legacy you will leave to your heirs. —Steve Saint
- Legacy is not leaving something for people. It’s leaving something in people. —Peter Strople
- The greatest legacy one can pass on to one’s children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one’s life, but rather a legacy of character and faith. —Billy Graham
- I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. —Jesus
- Please think about your legacy because you are writing it every day. —Gary Vaynerchuk
Despite the way that the lives and legacies of the famous grab our attention, every single one of us leaves a legacy.
Family legacy is not just about what I’ve created, but about the story that I’m a part of and share. In truth, we are always part of bigger narrative. Our story is never just about ourselves. There have always been events, actions, and people who intersect with our story. Our challenge is to see the larger narrative, recognizing how others have shaped us and how we impact others.
We influence people every day by what we say and do, by what we write, create and share. And all of that influence adds up.
May we use the power of our lives for the lasting good of those we touch, from our own families to our communities and even our online connections.
Share this Post
Published September 19, 2020
Topics: Family Legacy
One of my friends recently shared a quote out of the book “Bonhoeffer” that goes, “The rich world of his ancestors set the standards for Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s own life. It gave him certainty of judgment and manner that cannot be acquired in a single generation.”
I thought that was a powerful quote!
It’s an interesting quotes about legacy
inspiring fresh quotes.
Just a minor correction; the first legacy quote you list comes from Shannon ALDER as opposed to Shannon ADLER. This author has other good resources worth checking out.
Thanks for catching the error, Kristy! Updated now.
You just changed my thought process.
I really work hard to leave something for my kid (in terms of monetary value).
But now I am going to give some more time to him. I am going to try to teach him some values.
Really nice article.
Keep up the good work.
These are very interesting quotes about legacy.
I was surprise to see such important narratives as this,this indeed is very good and it remind us to live a life which will cause others to smile
That was a wonderful blog to read. A rich collection of quotes with deep meanings and practical applications given by some of the most successful people ever. Tuned in for more such content.