After an undergraduate career at the University of Missouri-Columbia, Bill graduated early and taught 7th grade language arts in the Independence Public Schools. While considering offers to teach and coach, he received the Patricia Harris Roberts Fellowship at the University of Kansas School of Law. So off he went.
After graduating from law school, he went to work at Blackwell Sanders Matheny Weary & Lombardi, a large law firm in Kansas City. After rising to the partnership level, in June of 2000, he resigned from the firm to become the first employee of what is now known as the Signatry: A Global Christian Foundation.
Since 2000, the Signatry has facilitated more than $1 billion in charitable contributions and a similar amount in distributions to nonprofit organizations locally, nationally and globally.
At the Signatry, he works with:
- Givers who want to maximize their giving, including business owners selling their businesses
- Ministries who want to receive major gifts
- Professional advisers seeking to aid their clients in charitable giving
- Families seeking to perpetuate their legacy
His work has also spawned entrepreneurial efforts like the following:
- iDonate.com – the only integrated online donation platform allowing for the donation of cash and non-cash gifts. iDonate’s customers include non-profit organizations like Samaritan’s Purse, Wycliffe Bible Translators and the National Holocaust Museum. Visit www.idonate.com.
- FamilyArc.com – As a result of working with so many families with a desire to preserve their family legacy, values and mission, FamilyArc was developed. It’s an online platform that allows families to preserve their family story online.
William is the author of:
The Generosity Bet: Stories of Risk, Reward and Real Joy
Stories of the Generous Life, and Grants for Christian Ministries and More
He’s a contributing author to:
Giving It All Away . . . And Getting It All Back Again
This Dangerous Book: How the Bible Has Shaped Our World and Why It Still Matters Today
unPrepared: 14 Elements of Successful Wealth Transfer
unHeritage: 11 Pitfalls to Family Legacy and How to Avoid Them
Three Dimensional Discipleship and Why the Conservative Mind Matters