What are the habits of the wealthy when it comes to leaving money by way of their estate?
A recent article in Give & Take (September 2017) noted the most recent IRS information on charitable gifts made through estates:
- Thirty percent of women included a charitable gift in their estate documents, whereas only 20% of men included a similar gift.
- Being single (widowed, divorced, legally separated, or single) dictated the majority of charitable bequests.
- Ten percent of married females made charitable bequests.
- Forty percent of married males made charitable bequests.
- Overall, only 25% of married couples made charitable bequests.
- Those older, age 80-89 (37%), were more likely to make a charitable gift at death than those under 70 (17%).
Of course, absent from all the reported results was that the death rate remained a solid 100%.
Share this Post
If you enjoyed this content and would like to receive updates via email, please subscribe.
Published March 16, 2018
Topics: Giving Trends