Sign up for our newsletter to receive fresh insights that will provide you with direction to live a more joyous & generous life...

2018—The Wealthy Plan to Increase their Giving

The November 2016 Chronicle of Philanthropy reported on a recent study conducted by Indiana University’s Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.  That study showed that wealthy donors are planning to increase their giving at least through 2018.  Wealthy donors were defined as those with income of $200,000 or assets of $1 million.

Additionally, the study noted that the wealthy give to many different causes.  Religious organizations and non-profits that provided basic needs received the majority of contributions—62%–whereas the remaining 38% was filtered out to a variety of causes.

Those other causes included everything from education to international aid.

On the other hand, the wealthy look for organizations that have low overhead yet strong operations.  At the same time, these donors want the following:

  1. A thank you—61%
  2. Fewer requests—41%
  3. Privacy maintained—84%
  4. Information about other charities—29%
  5. Information how to engage the younger generation—20%

About Bill High

Bill is CEO of the Signatry: A Global Christian Foundation. He works with families, individual givers, and financial advisers to share the foundation’s message regarding biblical generosity and charitable giving. » Learn More. He is the co-author with David Green of Giving It All Away and Getting It All Back Again: The Way of Living Generously.

Tagged As

What People Are Saying

There are no comments yet – why not be the first to leave a comment?

Join The Conversation